Delicious and filling! The first two words that come to mind with this Hot Italian Sausage SoupClick To Tweet recipe that I found on meatified.com. Of course, I put my own touch on it and added some things but it was such a simple recipe that customizing it was a cinch.
I differentiated my version of the soup from the original by using two different kinds of meat and tossing in some more veggies. You’ll find all of that below! What things would you add to the recipe to make it your own? The video below will show you how its made.
The sweet mini peppers that I added to this dish give it a really nice balance to the heat those hot sausage give off! After all was said and done, everyone left the kitchen with smiles on their faces and fully bellies. And that’s how it’s done – at least until I mess up another experiment and when I do, you’ll see that too! Check out the finished, plated soup below.
Ready for the recipe? Here it is:
- 2 lb no sugar added hot Italian sausage (1 lb of pork, 1 lb of chicken)
- 2 onion, diced
- 10 mini sweet bell peppers, thin sliced
- 8 cups no sugar added tomato sauce
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cup water
- 4 medium white sweet potatoes, diced
- 4 T Italian seasoning
- 3 bulbs of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 4 cups baby spinach
- Preheat a large pot over low medium heat. Cook the sausage until lightly browned.
- If you have more than about a tablespoon of fat left in the pan once the sausage has cooked through, remove the excess.
- Add the diced onion and bell peppers to the pan. Soften until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce, stock and water to the pot: turn up the heat and bring the pan to a simmer.
- Add the diced white sweet potatoes and all seasonings. Bring back to a simmer and cook until the white sweet potatoes are tender.